Sunday, April 13, 2014

American Avocet

American Avocet
American Avocet. San Elijo Lagoon, California. March 30, 2014. Greg Gillson.
I find avocets irresistible photo subjects. They are tall and stately, with unique recurved bills, and rusty heads in breeding plumage. As I started birding in NW Oregon where avocets are very rare, I think they also represent to me exotic birding locales like Malheur refuge, Death Valley, Salton Sea. Now I get to see them regularly, but I never tire of viewing (and photographing) them.

American Avocet

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.