Friday, June 6, 2014

San Diego Year Bird #229: Hammond's Flycatcher

Hammond's Flycatcher
Hammond's Flycatcher. May 4, 2014. Fallbrook, California. Greg Gillson.
I'm not getting as much practice identifying Empidonax flycatchers in San Diego as I used to get in Oregon where there were 5 common breeding species. I don't have any sightings of Dusky, Gray, or Willow Flycatcher yet this year in San Diego County. These are migrants only here and don't usually breed this far south. Actually, Hammond's don't breed either, but these are nearly common spring migrants here. The only regular breeding Empid here is Pacific-slope Flycatcher.

If I just remember Empid ID in 3 easy steps I'll do all right. Primary Extension: long; Bill Shape: short and straight-sided; Lower Mandible Color Pattern: mostly dark.

Hammond's Flycatcher

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.