Saturday, October 11, 2014

Another San Diego pelagic trip

San Diego at sunset. October 4, 2014. Greg Gillson.
Last month I took a pelagic trip from San Diego. Last week I took another. I'll be sharing some bird photos from those trips over the next few posts.

The birds were nothing special on this trip. Murrelets and storm-petrels were all very distant (most flew away from the boat while still 500 feet away). No rarities.

The weather was warm, the sky blue, and seas calm. The photos accompanying this post shows you why I enjoy pelagic trips--even if the birds were just ordinary seabirds this day.

Common Dolphin
Common Dolphin
Pelagic trip aboard Grande
Pelagic trip aboard Grande. October 4, 2014.
Pilot Whale
Pilot Whale off San Diego. October 4, 2014. Greg Gillson.
Pilot Whale
Pilot Whale
California Flying Fish.
California Flying Fish.
Striped Marlin
Striped Marlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.