Friday, September 2, 2016

A birding morning at Bonsall

Back on August 7th I spent some time exploring the Bonsall area and the new San Luis Rey River Park. I parked off Highway 76 opposite of S Mission Rd, where some construction was halted for the weekend. It was as I suspected. Even though there is an eBird Hotspot for this locale, with 68 checklists submitted, it is not publicly accessible. It may be a couple more years until trails and parking lots are installed.

I followed the only trail I could find into the riparian woods and came upon a pleasant transient camped there. Calling him a transient or homeless person, though, is pretty bigoted as he's lived in the woods there for a dozen years or more while I've lived in 8 or so different homes during that same time. So who's the transient? Anyway, he told me he was the last person living in the woods there and was soon moving out--he had a place lined up in Las Vegas, so I wish him the best.

The woods are dense without any trails, but I was able to find some birds from the edge. Of note were a couple of Common Ground Doves, Downy Woodpecker, and Bell's Vireos.

Common Ground-Dove
Common Ground-Dove. Bonsall, California. August 7, 2016. Greg Gillson.
Downy Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker.
Someday this will be a good birding spot. But not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.