Sunday, August 24, 2014

That daring young man on the flying trapeze

Double-crested Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorants. San Elijo Lagoon. August 3, 2014. Greg Gillson.
When another Double-crested Cormorant landed on this wire over the lagoon, the whole wire swung back-and-forth, nearly causing some birds to lose their balance. It reminded me of the song "The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze." 

He'd fly through the air with the greatest of ease, 
That daring young man on the flying trapeze.

So, where did that little ditty come from?

It is an 1867 song based on trapeze artist Jules Leotard. He invented the trapeze and, yes, the leotard!

Learn more about Mr. Leotard, the song, and trapeze here 

Double-crested Cormorant
"When I grow up, mom, I want to swing on the wire, too. But I don't want to wear the tights!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.