Thursday, February 9, 2017

Another Storm Wigeon

A very few male American Wigeons have pure white head, rather than speckled gray-brown. The green eye patch is really striking against the white. My post on Storm Wigeon from 3 years ago is actually the most popular post in my entire blog--I assume as much from duck hunters as birders, because the hunters are usually aware of the term, but birders are less aware of this rare individual variation.

"Storm Wigeon." American Wigeon variant. Escondido, California. December 12, 2016. Greg Gillson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.