Friday, June 30, 2017

Coastal Sage Scrub and California Gnatcatcher

I'm so used to seeing coastal sage scrub as dry, colorless, grays and tans. It is really amazing to see how green everything is this spring after near-record winter rainfall. I spent about a half hour recently walking a trail east of I-5 along the coast at the San Elijo Lagoon. I noticed the habitat restoration sign showing California Gnatcatcher and grabbed the picture below with my phone on May 17.

Coastal Sage Scrub
Coastal Sage Scrub, San Elijo Lagoon, May 17, 2017.
While the gnatcatchers may often be heard and glimpsed here, the photos below came from inland at Lake Hodges on April 26.

California Gnatcatcher
California Gnatcatcher, Lake Hodges, April 26, 2017.
California Gnatcatcher

California Gnatcatcher
Prickly Pear
Prickly Pear Cactus, San Elijo Lagoon, May 17, 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.