Sunday, November 18, 2018

ID: Oregon and Slate-colored forms of Dark-eyed Juncos at Lake Cuyamaca

I spotted an obvious male Slate-colored Junco at Lake Cuyamaca on November 5th. It was feeding on some grain thrown on the ground at the bait shop. I have never really explored that part of Lake Cuyamaca as the $10 day use fee seemed more than I wanted to pay for a visit that would only last an hour-and-a-half. But, guess what? It seems somehow I am old enough to earn something called a "senior discount." I'm only worth $5 now.

I followed around a flock of Dark-eyed Juncos down by the shoreline hoping for Gray-headed, Pink-sided, or Cassiar juncos. But I didn't find any of those forms of Dark-eyed Juncos. The Oregon form is the common one here, but so pale compared to the dark rusty-brown ones I grew up with in Oregon. The sides, especially, are so pale and restricted compared to those northern birds. Here, let me show you from previous posts to my blogs:

Gray-headed, Slate-colored, and Oregon juncos in December 2016 in San Diego here.
Cassiar juncos in March and April 2011 in Oregon here.
Oregon junco in November 2007 in Oregon here.

So here are photos from Lake Cuyamaca.

First is a series of male Oregon juncos that match the resident form, thurberi, that is paler on sides and not as dark rusty brown on back as more northern races.

Dark-eyed Junco, Oregon form thurberi
Dark-eyed Junco, Oregon form thurberi
Dark-eyed Junco, Oregon form thurberi
Dark-eyed Junco, Oregon form thurberi
Male Oregon Junco

Here, then is a female Oregon Junco. It matches the male except the head is pale gray. Note the sides are pinkish-buff.

Female Oregon Junco

Next is the male Slate-colored Junco with dark slate sides. There is no contrast between the hood and back or sides (a mark that would indicate Cassiar Junco).

Male Slate-colored Junco
Male Slate-colored Junco

Finally is this pale female Slate-colored Junco. There is no sharp contrast between the head and back, so not Cassiar Junco. The sides are gray, so not Oregon or Pink-sided Junco. And the back is not bright rusty, so not Gray-headed Junco. Oh, and no white wing bars, so not a White-winged Junco.

Female Slate-colored Junco
Female Slate-colored Junco

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope the links to other ID posts prove useful to those seeking more information. It seems no matter where you live in North America there are various forms of juncos to puzzle out.

      Delete
    2. Your ID posts in general have been very helpful to me. I have your Index to bird ID articles bookmarked. In fact, your Western Sandpiper vs Dunlin and Western Sandpiper vs Semipalmated Sandpiper posts are how I found your PNW blog in the first place =)

      You write really great and informative posts!

      Miles

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Miles. That is gratifying to hear.

      Delete

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.