Saturday, August 1, 2015

UFO's near Julian

Birding often slows down in the heat of summer. That's when I tend to notice other colorful unidentified flying objects.

I appreciate all forms of life, but my identification skills have concentrated primarily on birds, whales, western pines, and edible plants. My knowledge of butterflies is quite limited. I think I regularly see swallowtails, monarchs, admirals, sulfurs, and whites. But getting more specific than that has not been a priority for me.

So I offer these photos and tentative ID's to butterflies I photographed in early July near Julian, California at about 4000-4600 feet elevation. Oh, and one very interesting flower, too.

Mylitta Crescent
Mylitta Crescent. Julian, California. July 4, 2015. Greg Gillson.
Checkered White
Checkered White. Lake Cuyamaca, California. July 4, 2015. Greg Gillson.
Lupine Blue
Lupine Blue. Lake Cuyamaca, California. July 4, 2015. Greg Gillson.
Humboldt Lily
Humboldt Lily. William Heise County Park, Julian, California. July 3, 2015. Greg Gillson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.