Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Electronics workstation on the cheap

My new living quarters happened to come with an overly large tool shed, complete with lights and electricity. It also came with a bit of junk, including a broken vacuum cleaner, a large plastic Christmas tree, and two old TV's.

What better time to set up an electronics work bench! Since my layoff in 2010 from Tektronix I haven't done anything with electronics. I've changed careers (a couple of times). But I've had this hankering lately--an itch, a yen, a desire--to get back into it a bit.

So last weekend I went to Fry's and bought about $120 worth of soldering and rework tools. If I can find an inexpensive scope someday, I'll have everything I need. But, until I start designing something complex, I can get by with only my DMM. As for electronics components, desoldering parts from those old TV's I "inherited" are going to be my first contributors to my parts bin--once I actually have a parts bin, that is. I guess a visit to Dollar Tree is in order.

electronics workbench

My interests at the moment (now that computers have morphed into single-chip throw-away phones) include sensors, batteries, solar cells, and robotics. And the web is full of DIY projects for ideas, including a new favorite: Evil Mad Scientist Laboratories. You can't go wrong with a name like that!

My goal was to do this as cheaply as possible, yet get the best value I could. I pre-priced all the items ahead of time at Fry's and pretty much stuck to my list that originally had a total price of about $93, plus tax.

Tools
Velleman VTSS4N Solder Station$22.99
MG Solder 0.5LB$18.95
MG Solder Wick$3.15
ECG Desoldering pump$6.89
4-1/2 inch Tweezers$3.99
Hakko Wire Cutter$4.99
Jonard Wire Stripper$7.99
Eclipse Glue Sticks$4.99
Round Hole Breadboard$8.69
NTE 5-Pair Alligator Clip set$5.99
EZ-Hook Miniature Alligator Clips$4.19
HBC Electrical Tape$1.79


The extras I couldn't resist...
Heat Shrink Tubing Kit$8.99
Extension cord, 3 outlets$7.49
Vacuum Base Vise$5.99
Cable Ties$2.99


And, what I already have: DMM, Jewler's set of screwdrivers, needle nosed pliers, Philips screwdriver, slotted screwdriver, pliers, Xacto knife.

If I start working with integrated circuits I'll need an anti-static wrist strap. I could use a dispenser for rubbing alcohol and a brush to clean solder flux off components. But this basic set of tools is a good start. A "new" 2014 Rigol DS1052E 50MHz 2-Channel scope is $348 on Amazon, with 2 Hantek 100 MHz probes for $17. This is out of my budget right now, but I'll keep my eyes open for a deal on a used scope. If I start into radio, audio, digital, or computers I'll need a scope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.