Sunday, April 24, 2016

Homemade Batteries: a "prove it" experiment

Usually these homemade battery experiments are designed for 6th Grade science class to teach basic chemistry and electricity principles. But you know what? I had never performed this experiment. I mean, I know you can make a battery* by sticking different metals in acid such as lemons or potatoes. I "know it" because I read it or heard it somewhere from someone who was supposed to know what they were talking about.

Hearsay. I believed it to be true, but I had never proved it to myself. Just like the sun is 93 million miles away. You knew that, too, did you? Prove it. I can't.

But I was able to prove that I can make a 0.9 volt chemical battery using a copper-plated penny and a zinc-plated galvanized nail stuck in an orange slice. I didn't get the 1.4 volts I expected from the carbon graphite from a carpenter's pencil to that same nail (only 1.08 volts, see below). And the penny to nickel cell didn't work at all in the orange (perhaps I really do need to use vinegar). The rusty iron screw was in the middle as expected. And I found out that a brass screw (made of roughly 65% copper and 35% zinc) acted electrically more like zinc than copper.

Carbon, copper, nickel, zinc, iron, and orange. DIY battery.
I also proved that I could hook up two of my 1 volt "orange batteries" together in series and get 2 volts. I had no doubt it would work from my studies of electricity. But now I've proven it to myself.

I think it is important, for everything in life, to always know why you believe what you believe. Don't take someone's word for it. Prove it to yourself.

-----
* - Technically, I created "cells" with metal electrodes and a catalyst. The term battery is more properly two or more cells linked together to give a higher voltage. Your car's 12 volt battery is 6 cells of 2.0 volts in series. Your flashlight "batteries" are 1.5 volt cells.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.