Saturday, June 25, 2016

White-tailed Kite hovering

White-tailed Kites have always been one of my favorite raptors (read a previous post on my history with this species). Their hunting style is to hover-in-place over their prey, then drop down quickly to grab a mouse or vole out of the grass.

I am yet to get really good photos of this bird. But on May 30th I was able to get these photos that follow. It was still early on an overcast morning, and the bird was distant. But these three photos aren't too bad in showing their hunting behavior, hovering in place.

White-tailed Kite
White-tailed Kite
White-tailed Kite. Ramona, California. May 30, 2016. Greg Gillson.
White-tailed Kite

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.