Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Black-necked Stilt at San Luis Rey River Mouth

During Marlowe's visit last week she mentioned that she had spotted some distant stilts while traveling over the rice paddies near Sacramento. Actually, that's where I saw my first stilts, too--in 1977.

She was talking about making sure to stop on the way back so she could get better looks. I had heard reports of stilts with chicks at San Luis Rey River Mouth in Oceanside (site guide here). I asked if the family wanted to go there and the beach after lunch. It didn't take much convincing.

Black-necked Stilt
Black-necked Stilt. Oceanside, California. May 14, 2015. Greg Gillson.
The stilts and the chicks were right there and obvious, observed from the sidewalk. Do you see the little guy hiding in the following photo?

Black-necked Stilt and chick

Black-necked Stilt

Black-necked Stilt and chick

Aww....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.