Thursday, November 12, 2015

Cassin's Kingbird at Poinsettia Park, Carlsbad

As do most birders, I like to see birds I've never seen before--especially birds rare to an area. There are several rare birds in the San Diego area now, including many returning for multiple winters. I'll go see them if I have available time; but some are rather distant for a quick trip. Frankly, I'd rather find my own rare birds. But that means I don't see rare birds as often as if I chased after rare birds that others have already found.

Thus, I was exploring a new park I noticed on the map in Carlsbad. Poinsettia Park is quite large--perhaps a half mile to walk around, rimmed with trees and paved walkways. It is 42 acres, has 3 baseball fields, basketball court, and 10 tennis courts. (website here). The west side is along an ungroomed wet canyon with many trees. It looks like a great place for migrant or winter rarities to be found. It has food, water, and shelter. Less than a mile inland, it will have mild temperatures that should provide insects for food all winter .

I found several flocks of birds, but didn't find anything rare. I did get a couple photos of a cooperative Cassin's Kingbird on a fence.

Cassin's Kingbird
Cassin's Kingbird. Carlsbad, California. October 25, 2015. Greg Gillson.
Cassin's Kingbird

Last year I wrote an identification article on identifying the "yellow-bellied" kingbirds: "ID: Western, Cassin's, and Tropical Kingbirds."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.