Thursday, August 3, 2017

Recent Birding in Puerto Peñasco, Mexico

An unexpected extra (paid!) day off from work in July allowed Marlene and me to visit my sister and family in Puerto Peñasco (also known as "Rocky Point," even though the direct translation is "Rocky Port"). This resort town on the Sea of Cortez is about 6 hours away (330-360 miles) from my home in northern San Diego County. Plus, there can be another hour line for crossing the border back into the US. [And I still think that my map navigation program incorrectly computes travel time in Mexico based on speed limits of 90 miles per hour rather than 90 kilometers per hour. So it always takes a lot longer to get places in Mexico than the navigation programs says.]

Known as "Arizona's beach," this seaside community is only 60 miles from Lukeville, Arizona, and a 3-1/2 hours' drive from Phoenix or Tucson. There's really no specific birding parks or trails here, unfortunately, surrounded for miles by sandy cholla desert. The best birding is on the private golf courses and some of the shallow bays, such as Cholla Bay. [This is also known as Choya Bay--I am so confused about the use of Spanish here. I think both are pronounced the same, with the first the predominant cactus of the area and the second means "head," or maybe "point"? So maybe it's a play on words, or maybe confusion that stuck? Or maybe both words refer to the cactus?]

My nephew, Manny, an event photographer, took me out one day to photograph birds at the Laguna del Mar Golf Course. It's a private golf course but Manny knew the right words to say to get in to walk the main road. He comes here regularly to kayak. It was his first time photographing birds. He enjoyed it, I think, but he wasn't converted. Here are my photos from that morning.

American Oystercatcher
American Oystercatcher. Puerto Peñasco, Mexico. July 3, 2017. Greg Gillson.
American Oystercatcher
It's been several years since I last saw an American Oystercatcher.
American Oystercatcher
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Osprey
Don't tell this Osprey that hunting is not allowed!
Snowy Egret
Snowy Egret
Snowy Egrets were nesting in a tree along the road allowing some great flight shots as they slowed to land.
Northern Mockingbird
Northern Mockingbird
Northern Mockingbird
Magnificent Frigatebird
Male Magnificent Frigatebird
Magnificent Frigatebird
Juvenile Magnificent Frigatebird.
Magnificent Frigatebird
Really ratty plumage. At least it has 7 new outer primaries so it can fly!
Magnificent Frigatebird
About 15 frigatebirds were hunting over the golf course ponds. And here I was looking out to sea for them!
Great-tailed Grackle
Great-tailed Grackle
Cactus Wren
Cactus Wren in the tree above me.
Black-necked Stilt
Black-necked Stilts
Coyote
Coyote is not likely to get a bird. Better go back to hunting lizards!
Black-necked Stilt
Black-necked Stilt

Later in the afternoon Marlene and I joined Bob and Karen on the private beach at Las Conchas. While we enjoyed the company of two other couples that showed up, Marlene first had to go swimming in the warm waters.

I'm not much for swimming as I was when I was younger (before eyeglasses). But large birds were flying right along the shoreline for decent photos.

Las Conchas Beach
A relaxing afternoon at Las Conchas Beach.
Heermann's Gull
Heermann's Gull
Royal Tern
Royal Tern
Osprey
Osprey
Brown Booby
Brown Booby
Marlene enjoying a boogie board
Brown Booby
Female Brown Booby
Caspian Tern
Caspian Tern
Brown Pelican
Brown Pelican. Who's photobombing whom?
Osprey
Osprey fishing
Yellow-footed Gull
Yellow-footed Gull
Long-billed Curlew
Long-billed Curlew
Brown Booby
Immature Brown Booby


nature journal
A page from my nature journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.