Friday, July 28, 2017

Colored pencil: Sulphur



sulphur butterfly
Butterfly, drawn July 23, 2017, based on photo at Santa Ysabel, California June 16, 2017. Greg Gillson.
I am continuing my attempt at photo-realistic colored pencil nature drawings. This butterfly is some kind of sulphur, perhaps a female Orange Sulphur colias eurytheme. I was unable to identify the flowering plant. I learned a lot about the lines on butterfly wings making this drawing--my first attempt at a butterfly.

The out-of-focus background is my second attempt. My first attempt at such a background (not this butterfly) was a flop.

The background alone took about 3 hours, the entire piece about 10 hours. Original size is 5-1/2 x 6-1/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.