Saturday, June 21, 2014

Nutmeg Mannikin--most sought-after?

Nutmeg Mannikin
Nutmeg Mannikin. Batiquitos Lagoon, Carlsbad, California. June 1, 2014. Greg Gillson.
My first photo of Nutmeg Mannikin was December of last year. Then I got another photo in February. So, here's another. This time a male and female of this former exotic (non-countable) species that has become established enough to be added to the AOU Check-list last summer. It is now a countable bird.

The day before it was added to the AOU list no one could have cared less about these wild offspring of escaped cage birds. Since the change to AOU listing status, I understand that this is now one of the most sought-after species by visiting birders to San Diego. Silly, I know. The games people play.

Nutmeg Mannikin
Female Nutmeg Mannikin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.