Monday, June 23, 2014

San Diego Year Bird #232: Least Tern

Least Tern
Least Tern and chicks. Carlsbad, California. June 8, 2014. Greg Gillson.
Actually, I first saw Least Terns on June 1, but couldn't get close enough for photos. But these on June 8 were very close to the highway at the mouth of Batiquitos Lagoon.

Least Tern
There are many beaches in San Diego County with signs and fenced off areas for nesting Least Terns and Snowy Plovers. I've seen terns, now, at several of these but, so far, no Snowy Plovers. I wonder where the easiest place is to see Snowy Plovers on beaches in the North County?

Least Tern

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.