Saturday, June 8, 2019

Female Hooded Oriole in Borrego Springs

Female orioles aren't nearly as easy to identify as males.

One of these days I'm going to find a rare Orchard Oriole. The females and immatures look very like the common Hooded Orioles. But this is spring, not fall and winter. So an olive above, yellow below, female oriole is most-likely a Hooded Oriole. Unless it's a Scott's Oriole, which is more lemony yellow throughout.

In the mean time, I'll try grabbing a shot of any oriole I see. Even of the one I happen to photograph isn't rare, orioles are wonderfully colorful!

Female Hooded Oriole
Hooded Oriole. Borrego Springs, California. May 26, 2019.
Female Hooded Oriole

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.