Monday, March 10, 2014

Bald Eagle: Is this K-83?

Bald Eagle
Bald Eagle. Lake Wohlford, near Escondido, California. February 16, 2014. Greg Gillson.
I found this bird in a large live oak at Lake Wohlford last month. It wasn't very wary, as I almost walked right up to it before I noticed. So I took a couple photos and then turned back on the lake shore trail, leaving the bird to survey all the fishermen below.

The orange patagial tag on the wing numbered "83" could mean one of two things. It may have been a "problem bird" removed from an airstrip to a more remote area. Or, it could be a captive bred bird released as part of a re-introduction program.

In fact, if this is K-83, then it is a female hatched in 2008 at a nest at Two Harbors on Santa Catalina Island off the coast of Los Angeles. (See the Montrose Bald Eagle report from 2010.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.