Monday, March 3, 2014

San Diego County Bird #221: Burrowing Owl

Burrowing Owl
Burrowing Owl. Ramona Grasslands Preserve, California. February 9, 2014. Greg Gillson.
On the way home from Lindo Lake February 9th I drove past the Ramona Grasslands Preserve again for several "target" birds. Scanning the boulders along Highland Road I spotted this Burrowing Owl, a regular species here. A pair of Bald Eagles were near their nest along Rangeland Road. Also seen from the car was  a Ferruginous Hawk, several Mountain Bluebirds, and some Tricolored Blackbirds. Most of the birds were too far away for good photographs, though.

This small diurnal owl was my San Diego Year Bird #169.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.