Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Bird song quiz

A small bird flew from tree top to tree top as it passed through this morning. It sang a very memorable, distinctive, and imitable song.

Very high pitched clear whistled song, evenly spaced: "su, su, see, sey" repeated every 7-10 seconds, very much like the voice quality of a White-crowned Sparrow. It stayed around long enough for me to try to record it on my smart phone, but it just isn't loud enough to hear.

What I have done is whistle the song and recorded my whistled imitation. Cheesy, I know.
[Late night 3/22 reloaded to Dropbox, as it disappeared for some reason]
Click here for Dropbox sound file link

I feel like I should know this bird song, but I just can't place it. Listening, again it sounds like the first 4 notes of a White-throated Sparrow song but the notes shorter in duration and faster.

Can you help?

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.