Wednesday, July 4, 2018

California Gnatcatcher at Lake Hodges

I thought this photo of California Gnatcatcher earlier this spring turned out quite well. Males sport this black cap in breeding plumage. In winter there is just a tiny dark line over the eye.

On this day at least a dozen of this endangered species were calling as I hiked around the Bernardo Bay arm of Lake Hodges. This is the most reliable spot I've found for this sought-after bird.

California Gnatcatcher
California Gnatcatcher. Lake Hodges, California. March 21, 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.