Thursday, July 26, 2018

Western Wood-Pewee on tilted signpost

I remember puzzling out all the flycatchers in Oregon when I was a kid first starting out bird watching. As they bred in Oregon and sang and called all spring and summer, I got to learn to identify them by proportions and typical habitat, and confirm the identification with their voice.

On a cruise to Puerto Vallarta several years ago I hired a local bird guide for a morning trip, as I don't speak Spanish. He led me to a good birding area and arranged transportation (taxi and bus). I was surprised to find a Least Flycatcher (among other more typical Mexican endemics). The guide didn't know what flycatcher it was. He had no way to identify the Empidonax flycatchers--they look too much alike and don't sing there. He had no way to confirm any guesses he might make.

Fortunately for you, this isn't a post on identification. Just enjoy this Western Wood-Pewee I photographed a few weeks back!

Western Wood-Pewee
Western Wood-Pewee. Palomar Mountain, California. June 17, 2018.
Western Wood-Pewee

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.