Monday, April 1, 2019

More Verdins in Borrego Springs... and a nest

Verdin
Verdin on ocotillo. Borrego Springs, California. March 17, 2019.
Here are more photos of Verdins. I recently showed photos of this species from my February visit to the Anza-Borrego Desert. But here are some more from March. These are from the Roadrunner Club in Borrego Springs, Vallecito County Park, and Borrego Springs waste water ponds.

Verdin

This bird below was attending to a nest. I assume it is still early in the nesting season, so in the nest building phase, though the soccer ball-sized nest looks complete. Ah, here's the reason why.... According to the San Diego County Bird Atlas, Verdins maintain their nest all year for occupancy, not just during the breeding season. Mid-March is typical for birds to start using their nests for breeding. I learned something today!

Verdin

And here is the nest.

Verdin nest
Verdin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.