Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Queen Butterfly at Agua Caliente

Out in the desert in late April I noted many orange butterflies with black lines in the wing. I'm sure these veins have some special name, but I haven't really studied butterflies. I do, though, photograph them when I get the chance.

I was told they were Viceroy butterflies, and I knew that Viceroy and Monarch butterflies were very similar. However, later I learned that they were Queen Butterflies (Danaus gilippus)--a name I'd never heard before. Sure enough, the many white spots amid wing identify this species.

Queen Butterfly
Queen Butterfly. April 28, 2019. Agua Caliente, California.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.