Thursday, August 2, 2018

Rattlesnake!

Sometimes you are happy just to get a documentation photo, and don't care too much about the artistic merits. There was no way I was going to get eye-level with this guy! At 6 feet away I was close enough already.

Western Rattlesnake
Western Rattlesnake
Western Rattlesnake
Western Rattlesnake. Dixon Lake, Escondido, California. June 29, 2018.
As I was walking around the fishing trail at Dixon Lake I noted a man who was coming toward me, but had stopped. The snake was coiled and facing him, rattling away! This snake was at least 4 feet long, perhaps a bit more. They get to 5 feet long. I am always surprised by how stout they are throughout their length.

I don't see rattlesnakes very often. As a child, growing up in Oregon, I was always turning over rocks and logs looking for snakes and lizards and salamanders. Poisonous snakes were very unlikely in northwestern Oregon. Not so in southern California. I have outgrown the urge to seek for critters under rocks and logs now. I would like to see sidewinder in the desert though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.