Thursday, August 9, 2018

White-faced Ibis in Fountain Valley

I had the opportunity recently to do an hour of birding at Mile Square Regional Park in Fountain Valley, in Orange County, California. A single adult White-faced Ibis was foraging on the lawn and allowed me within about 40 feet. When I kept that distance it kept feeding and walking along without concern. This is in contrast to their usually cautious distance flocks keep in flooded grain fields and marshes.

I love the dark maroon/cinnamon coloration and the iridescent greens and violets that appear in direct sun. Last month I discussed this species and presented a rather poor shot. Now I have some really great portraits to share.

White-faced Ibis
White-faced Ibis
White-faced Ibis. Fountain Valley, California. July 12, 2018.
Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
1/800 f/8 @400mm +0.3 stop ISO 2000
White-faced Ibis
White-faced Ibis

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.