Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Painted Lady Butterfly in Borrego Springs

I'm not a butterfly watcher, but that doesn't mean I won't try to get a photo if I encounter one. I always try to identify all living things when I encounter them. This is a Painted Lady, Vanessa cardui, a widespread species around the world.

Painted Lady Butterfly Anza-Borrego Desert
Painted Lady Butterfly Anza-Borrego Desert, California. February 18, 2019.
This butterfly became quite abundant in early March in the San Diego region. Many people commented on the hundreds of small butterflies--especially in the hills along the I-15 freeway, where the California Poppies were blooming.

Mid-month, when Marlene and I went to see all the wildflowers in the Anza-Borrego Desert they were unavoidable. Literally. We couldn't drive anywhere without a thwack! on the windshield and a yellow-green streak. "Oops. Sorry!" Thwack! "Oh, there's another one--sorry!" (I'm pretty sure they didn't accept our apologies.)

Even after going through the car wash and a couple of rainy days, the ghosts of butterflies past are still imbedded in the windshield.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.