Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Colored pencil art: Yellow-rumped Warbler on succulent

In December I photographed a Yellow-rumped Warbler on a succulent at Silver Strand that I thought would make a great colored pencil drawing.

I'm still working on my photorealism technique. This one is getting closer! I think it needs a bit more fine details, though. My plant drawing actually has more detail than what was visible in the reference photo (see below). In order to be realistic I have to get the proportions perfect. Unfortunately, I think I made the warbler's bill a touch too big and the eye a touch too small. That's something that you can't fix after you've started with the color.

Each drawing is just practice for the next one, or so I've been told.

Yellow-rumped Warbler on succulent. Colored Pencil. Greg Gillson
Yellow-rumped Warbler on succulent. Prismacolor colored pencil. 2019. Greg Gillson
colored pencil art in progress
Putting in the background.
colored pencil art in progress
The flower stalk: first of many layers.
Photo of Yellow-rumped Warbler on succulant
My reference photo.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is great, Greg. I'd hang that on my wall =) Terrific photo as well.

    I bet taking the time to draw birds in such detail helps one never forget plumage details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm working on a tutorial that is teaching me a slightly different technique with more detail (European Robin). Then I'm going to try it on a California Gnatcatcher and post that if it turns out.

      Delete

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.