Sunday, February 3, 2019

On the web: Tim Boyer Photography: Basic Video for Bird Photography

Tim at Tim Boyer Photography has just completed a 3-part tutorial on his YouTube channel: Basic Video for Bird Photography.

I want to start shooting video with my camera. On my camera about 6 seconds of video is the same size as a single large RAW image, so there should be room on my memory card for over 2-1/2 hours of video, if my battery holds up.

Check out his 3 videos outlined as follows.

Part 1: The 3 Deadly  Sins (6:34) January 9, 2019
  • Bad audio
  • Shaky footage
  • Out-of-focus

Part 2: 7 Key Techniques to Master (7:45) January 16, 2019
  • Manual mode (24fps, shutter speed 1/50 sec)
  • Aperture (f8 for better depth of field, wide open for blurred background)
  • Constant white balance
  • ISO to adjust exposure
  • Lock-down shot
  • Short clips edited to 4-6 seconds each
  • Establishing shot, plan your story

Part 3: 7 More Things to Master (4:16) January 23, 2019
  • Tell a story (wide, medium, tight shots)
  • Shoot plenty of B Roll
  • Slow pan
  • Don't zoom in and out while shooting
  • Pull focus technique
  • Audio (dead cat, wireless mic)
  • Editing transitions

Tim has enabled sharing for Blogger, so I assume he wants me to share it with you. Here's the first part embedded.



Tim has also written a book on bird photography and leads photography workshop tours. Check it out on his webpage: Tim Boyer Photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really want to hear from you! I've changed settings (again) in order to try to make commenting easier without opening it up to spammers. Please note, however, that comments to posts older than 14 days will be moderated. Thank you.